Monday, November 30, 2009

Thankful for Team and Turkey

I am missing my family this thanksgiving... not to mention my mom’s cranberry chutney and sweet potato casserole. But I am SO thankful for a wonderful team with whom I can celebrate. One traditional meal item that we did not have to do without was turkey. I had a drumstick and though it was not the fat, juicy meat I am used to, what it lacked in tenderness it made up for in freshness. How fresh you might ask? Well, I witnessed its last breaths this morning. After which came my first turkey slaughtering experience. Instead of describing this one I will just let the pictures give you the gruesome details.


Step 1: Tie up the dog, no matter how excited she may be about this event.

Step 2: Inhibit wing movement by placing a foot on each. You don’t want violent flapping to make the process more lengthy than needed.

Step 3: Hold the head steady with on hand while swiftly sawing the jugular with the other hand, allowing blood to drain. (It is normal for the turkey to be blinking through this processes and trashing my occur upon removing feet from wings)


Turkey number 2 can’t watch...

Luke the professional. Kids don’t try this at home, but if you do, remember to wear gloves.

Step 4: Spa/ feather loosening treatment

Step 5: De-feather with your own two hands (gloves not required)

I am THANKFUL that I’m not a pioneer woman who has to kill my own meat, and that there are boys to do it for me when necessary.

1 comment:

  1. wow, i am impressed! but i will really be impressed next year when you help with the whole process :D

    ReplyDelete