Sunday, November 1, 2009

A few snaps




In Bundi taking a picture is called taking a snap. So here are some snaps from my last few days is in Bundibugyo.


Two days ago I left Kampala in a tiny little four seater plane, even got to sit in the copilot’s seat. We flew west over a green Uganda. After crossing the Rwenzori Mountains we circled around to be in position over the the small green strip below... our runway. And we landed. Kids waved from the tall grass. Then when the plane landed stood behind the profellers so their shirts would balloon out. The team greeted us also waving, some standing on top of their vehicles. It was so wonderful to meet these people I have so long to be with.



Yesterday I visited the health clinic where several of my teammates work. I was shown in the delivery room, a tired mother rested and a healthy newborn lay bundled only minutes old. It was amazing the baby had survived because it had been a twin and the twin had died long before. The cause of this child’s second chance at life was being in a different amniotic sac. “Not something you see every day Jennifer” said... EXACTLY what I was thinking.


Nyahuka is the closest village to me in Bundibugyo. Today was market day and because Christmas is soon it was very crowded. The plies of shoes on the mats were higher... more fabrics, more clothes as the second hand stalls. Coco, the cash crop is in. This means people also have money to spend. My favorite scene: A boy herding two goats through the mazes of muddy streams, stalls, and people with a basket of live chickens on his head.


I was walking up the path by myself making my way to a teammates house when from behi

nd I hear someone called out, “Anna” I stopped and turned around. A smiling face with bright white teeth and warm dark eyes greeted me. “How are you?” she said. I was relieved that she was communicating in English and embarrassed that I did not know her name. I explained that I had met so many people and could she please tell me her name again. She said, “Oh I haven’t met you yet. I just heard that you were coming and wanted to greet you, my name is Pauline.” That pretty much sums up the happiness I feel at being here. Can’t wait to share more.


4 comments:

  1. I am very happy to imagine you there. Blessings...Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Anna! Glad you're seeing God show Himself strong in your transition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna - prayers to you on this great adventure, I am thinking about you often and send my love. Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Sis! So glad that you are keeping your eyes on Christ through it all. Rach

    ReplyDelete