Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Art of the Boda Boda

On Monday I traveled the 8 or so kilometers to Bundibugyo town. The most efficient method of transport for this thirty minute scenic trip is a sputtering moped taxi called a boda boda. I have really been looking forward to my first boda riding experience and I was not disappointed. Sarah and I walked from our house into Nyahuka where we negotiated our fare, 5000 shillings... about $2.75 and climbed aboard. I got the middle. You may be wondering how a boda can manage two passengers. I assure you this is nothing. We were passed on the road by a boda carrying not 2 but 3 passengers (4 people total, one of whom held a chicken). Economy is a theme here. In an effort to conserve fuel boda drivers are constantly cutting off the engine to cruise down hills. This always makes me a little nervous after Sarah told of one driver who upon trying to restart the engine without success said, “Sorry, fuel is finished” and they walked the rest of the way. I was also surprised by the smoothness of the ride. This is no small accomplishment when one considers the road riddled with pot holes and protruding rocks that must be navigated. However, while there may be limited bumps it is not a straight path. Staying on your side of the road only seems to apply if your side is the smoother one. There is always a mud puddle to be dogged, a truck to beware of coming around the bend, or a pedestrian carrying a large bundle of fire wood on her back. The challenge for the rider is to try to keep the majority of both butt cheeks on the seat... a constant shifting battle.


So we arrived in Bundi town, backside disagreeing with my previous observation of a smooth ride. We did our errands, Bundibuyo town has the only bank in the district of 300,000 inhabitants, it also has a gas station. We went to the market where we were able to procure a pumpkin, carrots, and green peppers... things that don’t come with such ease in Nyahuka. We then treated ourselves to lunch out... rice, beans, greens, and... soda! For our dining pleasure on the little TV was women’s wrestling. Not exactly the taste of America I was longing for. Never the less, lunch was much enjoyed and we continued on.


Our driver for the way back was a little more daring and the ride definitely more thrilling, this may also have had been due to the fact that we were heading down the mountain. At one point there was a bit of a bottle neck as we slowed down because of a wedding. On either side of the road people were lined up in their finest, music was starting to blare and I could see a little arch way decked out with pink tule. This was going to be an event. As we slowed down a man looking very smart (as they would say here) asked us to join them, however we declined. I was enjoying myself thoroughly until we got behind a truck and I stared to taste grit in my mouth from all the kicked up dirt. But, I made it back to Nyahuka unharmed. The only alteration was being a slight shade darker due to the intense equatorial sun and a layer of dirt newly plastered, not sure which was the greatest contributing factor. All in all it was yet another great Ugandan adventure!!

2 comments:

  1. sounds fun! now you just need to drive a boda boda yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot wait to join you in the adventure!
    Amy and Travis

    ReplyDelete