Monday, August 29, 2011

Rest

People constantly at the door, ending a term at Christ School, hosting visitors, day to day teaching, walking with friends who are struggling, the fatigue of cross-cultural living in a remote place... all these things start to add up. And I just get tired, body tired, head tired, even soul tired. Heck I haven’t had time to even write a blog post in 2 and a half months. Last week all the teams in East Africa with World Harvest Mission met in Mombasa, Kenya to rest and be renewed together.


In the morning we had a short session, then an hour or two to just meditate, and be with the Father. One of the spiritual exercises was to intentionally put yourself in the presence of God and do something that you delight in. So there I was in my little chair the warmth of the sun, rhythm of the waves, rustling palm trees, the breezes washing in from the Indian Ocean, thinking to myself... I delight in this! My mind finally began to stop reeling as I poured out my heart out to Him. And it was so great to have uninterrupted conversation with God. Thinking of his steadfast love that is as constant as those waves, as faithful as the tides, alluring and beautiful.


I also read Psalm 62:1 “My soul finds rest in God alone”. Rest is an important part of life... even Jesus took time to get away. God created us to rest... to enjoy a nap, savor a cup of coffee, enjoy a long talk with a friend. But if I seek true rest, then these things have to include God. This is something that I am learning to do... and often not very good at. In Bundibugyo during a team devotion a few months back we were talking about rest and all the things that we do to rest that are good, but a lot of the time, they are cheap, not real soul rest. In America I was could be satisfied by a night out with friends or taking a hike in the mountains. Here in Africa the options for rest are minimal or they just don’t give me what I need, if I attempt them independent of God. But God has met me here, ever inviting me to find rest in Him ALONE, to enjoy the fun, but enjoy HIM in it. I love how Eugene Peterson put it in the Message:


Matthew 11:28-30


"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Psalm 62 seems to almost play with the word rest. Saying that the soul finds REST in God alone. As well as saying that we should REST on God as our rock and fortress. So pray that when I work I will rest in God as my rock; and when I rest, my soul would find rest and refreshment in Him!





No comments:

Post a Comment