Sunday, January 9, 2011

Eating Sunshine

“That was just like eating sunshine.” The words of Pat Abbott as she tosses a mango pit with a sticky hand out the window. We get a lot of sunshine here at the Equator, but to eat it... tangy, sweet, orangey goodness? Definitely smile producing and endorphin releasing! And so many ways in which to experience this deliciousness: mango salsa, smoothies, pie, crisp, slaw, margaritas. Mango season comes 2 times a year and each season is anticipated with great excitement as the trees get blooms and the tiny green fruit grows, getting dotted with pink and orange. Oh glorious mangos! I knew when I came back from America mango season would be beginning. On the way back to Bundibugyo as the switch backs are beginning there is a place on the side of the road where you can get a plastic grocery bag full for 50 cents. I bought a bag and eagerly pealed a sizable mango as soon as I got home, leaning over the kitchen sink juice running down my arm. Sunshine... pure sunshine!


Lydia enjoys eating sunshine too!


People asked me when I was home what American foods I most missed eating. I miss oreos and ice cream and a few other things that I actually can get in Kampala if I am willing to pay. But some things just can not be packaged or transported. When the tables are turned and I am back in America and the only mango to be found was picked when it was hard as rock, never to reach lovely ripeness. Then this mango was shipped half way around the world to sit under lights, getting the occasional misting in the produce section. This mango for which I am also sure to pay a whole lot more than 50 cents. Then I will miss Uganda and that priceless 50 cent bag. Right now I feel pretty blessed to be right here eating sunshine!


3 comments: