Monday, July 26, 2010

Nowhere is safe

This little teacher was not expecting a creacher
To disturb her while she worked away.
But out jumped a rat, which she hit with a bat
Oh, what a way to start the day.

So nursery rhymes where the theme for the last week of pre-school and this popped into my head on the morning of this event. Our second kill in 48 hours. We have been having a lot of rain in Bundibugyo lately. This seems to be driving certain critters into our house in a higher quantity. We have killed 4 rats in our house in the past couple weeks. After each kill the hope is that we will sleep in peace as they tend to be very active at night rustling around, chewing my necklaces in half... infuriating! Doing something that sounds like furniture rearranging... equally infuriating at 2am, 4am... yet we can't seem to get a break. Just one after another.

A few days ago I was awaken to paper shredding that sounded like it was right by my head. I turned on my flashlight that I keep in bed with me and shined the light on two beady black eyes that starred right at me not moving from my night stand. I watched it crawl down behind the books... gross! At least this one was a little more mouse like in size. I think I made metion in my last post of how thankful I am for my mosquito nets and all that it keeps out of my bed. I am one to faithfully tuck it in every night insuring no unwanted visitors. I feel very safe under my net even if I hear scratching on the night stand by my bed.

Last night I woke up because something had crawled over my leg. I had caught a lizzard in there just a few days before and figured that somehow he had just got back in, but I turned on my flash light just to see. The net was moving so I looked down and there trapped between the side of the mattress and my net was a rat! Fortunately I did not scream as Heidi and Anna probably did not want to be awake at 4am any more than I did. But I am sure that I made some noise as by now I was practically standing up yanking out the net and saying to the rat GET OUT! GET OUT! shivers running down my spine as I realized that a rat had just awakened me by running up my leg! I went around the circumference of my bed forcibly re-tucking the net probably almost pulling it from the ceiling. Then laid down heart still pumping praying that I would be able to fall back to sleep. And God was gracious, it was certainly a work of the Lord that sleep came and that I am already laughing at this CRAZY experience.

This one was much bigger than the one in my bed. Thank the Lord!

2 comments:

  1. OH Anna, I dont even need to say anything for you to know my response after reading this....So sorry girl, but better you than me :) I dont think I would ever recover. Hope you are doing well!! Missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice work on getting 4 of 'em!

    have you tried glue traps? how can I send some to you?

    ReplyDelete